What is the EU Blue Card?

by Ewelina Nurczyk in: Legal & Taxes, 08 Feb 2016     0 Comments

Poland is part of the European Union and as such shares its common proposals. One of them is the Blue Card – an EU-wide work permit allowing non-EU citizens to work in any member state, excluding Denmark, Ireland and the UK. Read on for more information.

American competition

The idea of the Blue Card was introduced in 2007 with the aim of allowing a more relaxed flow of workforce between the member states. Initially the solution was criticised for being a cause of a brain drain in less developed countries outside the EU, but now it has become a natural part of the European labour market. The name Blue Card was adopted as a response to the popular American solution for migrants, the Green Card. The blue in its name is an obvious reference to the union’s symbol – the blue flag with twelve yellow stars.

Blue dream

The Blue Card is a unified residence and work permit issued for the entire European Union (except for the UK, Ireland and Denmark). It allows third-party foreigners to stay and work in the EU and does not restrict it to one country only. The Blue Card holders can therefore become mobile people of the 21st century, who use their high qualifications in various member states of the EU. The card allows foreigners to stay in Poland 3 months after the end of their contract, but no more than 3 years in total.

It is essential to remember that not all jobs can be performed under the EU Blue Card. There is a regularly updated list of professions requiring high qualifications and the whole procedure is applicable only to these jobs.

Want to know which jobs give you access to the Blue Card?
See the list of the regulated professions here.

Application process

A few conditions need to be met in order for the Blue Card to be issued. First of all, a foreigner needs to be already residing in Poland. Secondly, they ought to find a job and their possible employer needs to be willing to hire them. In such situations, sometimes a labour market test needs to be conducted. After receiving its positive results, the foreigner needs to apply for the permit to the relevant Voivode’s office. The documents that should be filed are as follows:

  • 3 copies of the application for the temporary residence permit (download here)
  • 4 recent photographs in colour
  • 2 copies of the applicant’s travel document (e.g. passport)
  • The labour market test’s results
  • Contract of employment, contract for home-based work or civil law agreement – for at least one year
  • Confirmation of formal higher professional qualifications (education at tertiary level)
  • Health insurance confirmation or confirmation of coverage by the insurer of treatment costs in Poland
  • Annual gross salary resulting from the monthly or annual salary, indicated in the contract, not less than that specified in the regulation of the Ministry of Internal Affairs

Along with them, a fee has to be paid (PLN 440). Another PLN 50 is paid on receiving the Blue Card.  

Once you get it

After the Blue Card is granted, its holder is restricted to keep the position mentioned in the application form for at least 2 years. The salary also cannot be lower than the amount first indicated in the form. After the 2-year period, those amendments can be done, but the foreigner has to notify the Voivode’s office within 15 days. When it comes to changing your address or the company’s seat, its name or form, as well as when the employer is transferred to work for another entity, the authorities need not be notified.

Keep in mind that the whole period of your stay on the grounds of the Blue Card is included in the time required for obtaining a permanent residence card in Poland. Go ahead and apply for it – you will be one step closer to obtaining a permanent residence permit or even Polish citizenship in the future! 

See also

Work permits in Poland

Work permits in Poland

Want to work in Poland? Learn how to obtain work permit.
Read more

Temporary residents working in Poland - see what you need

Temporary residents working in Poland - see what you need

Taking up a job in Poland? Whether you are delegated to Poland, hold the EU Blue Card or simply have been offered a post here, this article will clear your doubts about formalities!
Read more

Test your… labour market

Test your… labour market

Labour market tests – what are they and how to get about them? Read our article explaining everything in detail.
Read more

Ewelina Nurczyk

Ewelina Nurczyk


Contact the author

Editor at CareersinPoland.com. A graduate of English studies and Polish language and literature at Warsaw University, specialising in teaching Polish to foreigners. 

Related articles

From this summer on, Polish offices issue work permits on the spot – see how to get it done! Read more

What can come as a surprise for a foreigner who moves to Poland to work? Not much if they land in a large company. Is the culture in corporate offices different from the special characteristics of a country the company is located in? Read more

What formalities do you need to take care of before you move to Poland? Learn about them from our article! Read more

Page Personnel, an international recruitment consultancy whose activities include recruiting employees for the business services sector (SSC/BPO), has published an information brochure about this market in Poland. Read more

The Statistical Office in Warsaw published new data on foreigners on the Masovian labour market. The Masovian district issues more work permits than any other region in Poland. Read more