At Philip Morris International (PMI), we’ve chosen to do something incredible. We’re totally transforming our business, and building our future on smoke-free products.
With huge change, comes huge opportunity. So, wherever you join us, you’ll enjoy the freedom to dream up and deliver better, brighter solutions and the space to move your career forward in endlessly different directions.
Wherever you join our crucial 47,000-strong Operations team, you’ll have the opportunity to make an impact. PMI’s shift from selling cigarettes to our new smoke-free products has changed the way we work. New products bring new challenges – in the way we source and buy raw materials, in the way we engineer and manufacture, and in our supply chain planning.
Bring us your curiosity and a desire to challenge the everyday and we’ll give you lots of responsibility. You’ll help us improve, inject innovation and create new ways of working.
YOUR ‘DAY TO DAY’As an Engineer/Sr Engineer - Engineering Design, you will be part of Engineering Solutions for Philip Morris International. The position is based in Krakow (Poland).
You will:• Support the development of concepts for product, process and manufacturing applications improvements, technical alternatives, designs, standards, test and evaluation plans under low level supervision through reviewing technical trends and standard methodologies to support the product portfolio and for meeting the PMI technical needs and business objectives including the safety, quality, and efficiency goals of defined project
• Apply proven scientific / engineering principles and practices with supervision and collaborate with relevant internal and external colleagues to analyze/improve controls systems, manufacturing applications, processes, and products to perform more complex system & product improvements while respecting PMI standards/compliance
• Track project progress/status per the identified plan activities and recommend revisions to the timetable and resource requirements to ensure all assigned projects are maintained on schedule and within the budget requirements and provide timely updates to the project accountable.
• Produce and review documentation with supervision, for accuracy and completeness that describes a new product or manufacturing process, including all pertinent information for legal or compliance purposes, to ensure a complete compilation of project records in preparation for the project closure.
• Contribute to a continued collaboration across PMI production facilities, affiliates, vendors, external resources, and other appropriate subject areas to generate innovative technical solutions and ideas while simultaneously building & maintaining a state-of-the-art level of technical knowledge and expertise for recognizing existing/future affiliate issues and concerns; and the efficiency of new projects/initiatives.
• Coordinate and lead the activities and work tasks of operators, technicians, mechanics, less experienced specialists and contractors in situations where a higher level of project/process expertise is required to ensure the production quality and facility performance are achieved.
PURPOSEDevelop, design and industrialize new equipment or kits for Cigarette Making technology.
Deploy equipment at all PMI affiliates to fulfill the capacity deployment or productivity plans.
Explore synergies and promote sharing across functions.
KEY ACOUNTABILITIES / RESPONSIBILITIES1. INNOVATION & INITIATIVE MANAGEMENT: Manage definition and own the CC & RRP project plan to purchase, install and ensure Successful Vertical Start-Up of manufacturing equipment capable to fulfill PMI product & process requirements.
Create qualification package and supporting documentation according to PMI standards and I&IM process (APM, BBoA, TFS, LP, FtD, VSU, CQV) within given product specifications for commercial production.
2. DEVELOPMENT, DESIGN AND INDUSTRIALIZATION: Lead and provide feasibility studies for new processes or product features. Define URS, develop, design and industrialize new RRP & CC equipment following FAT, CAT, SAT protocols in order to deliver efficient and Total-Cost-of-Ownership effective (Product SVC, labor, equipment performance, maintenance and spare parts) manufacturing equipment to factories within agreed time and budget.
Lead solution design review and influence equipment design to ensure cost per function optimization.
3. PROJECT MANAGEMENT: Develop and define business justifications, risk analysis and project’s scope. Identify key success factors, obtain the necessary support, define resource requirements, handle project execution and reporting in full alignment with PMI standards for management reviews and decision-making milestones. Lead multi-disciplinary and cross-functional project team members as well as external consultants / vendors.
Other key skillsCommunication:
• Maintain communication within and with relevant departments to execute the project plan and to find the timeliest and most cost effective solutions
• Initiate work organization improvement to use available resources in the most effective way.
• Establish a communication schedule to update partners including appropriate staff in the organization on the progress of the project.
Performance evaluation & professional development:• Ensure integral conformity with relevant legislation, Philip Morris policies and procedures and achieve the annual objectives established during the annual performance evaluation process
• Take ownership for the completion of your own individual training plan and align with the requirements established in the Qualification Matrix.
We’re looking for someone with:• High school or University degree in Engineering Science Degree / Equivalent
• Deep knowledge in cigarette making
• Proven experience in discrete manufacturing industry
• Understanding of Technical competency Process Knowledge; Process Standards; Quality Systems; Equipment operation principles / asset care; Tests/trials (design of experiments)
• Awareness of Process monitoring/control tools and systems; Neighbor processes;
• Presence of Key Behaviors level of competence Learning; Collaboration; Entrepreneurship; Agility; Communication; Impact; Leadership
Soft Skills• Action Oriented
• Communication with Stakeholders
• Dealing with ambiguity
• Interpersonal Savvy
• Organizational Agility
• Problem Solving
Technical Skills• URS preparation
• FAT, CAT, SAT (IOQ / PQ) protocols execution
• Design Reviews follow-up
• Vertical Start-Up notions
• Total Cost of Ownership awareness
• Equipment, process and components cost awareness through component costing, design-to-cost experience
• Supplier engagement and relationship management
• Project Management experience
What we offer:Our success depends on the men and women who come to work every single day with a sense of purpose and an appetite for progress. Join PMI and you too can:
• Seize the freedom to define your future and ours. We’ll empower you to take risks, experiment and explore.
• Be part of an inclusive, diverse culture, where everyone’s contribution is respected; collaborate with some of the world’s best people and feel like you belong.
• Pursue your ambitions and develop your skills with a global business – our staggering size and scale provides endless opportunities to progress.
Philip Morris Manufacturing & Technology
PM MTB is Philip Morris International’s Center of Excellence, worldwide recognized for prototyping, mass-volume production and employees’ training on smoke-free products.
For more information, see our PMI and PMI Science websites.
*1 Reduced-risk products ("RRPs") is the term we use to refer to products that present, are likely to present, or have the potential to present less risk of harm to smokers who switch to these products versus continued smoking. We have a range of RRPs in various stages of development, scientific assessment and commercialization.
PMI is an Equal Opportunity Employer!