Who we are looking for
The role of the Data Architect is to own and manage the SPDR BI data model, working in coordination with the SSGA IT team to ensure seamless execution and end-data users, such as the SPDR Data Science and SPDR Reporting teams, to ensure meaningful outputs. The SPDR BI data model leverages best in class tools, platforms and processes to combine data from over 30 different sources in order to provide critical insights and analytics for the $1Tn+ SPDR ETF business.
Reporting directly to the Global Head of SPDR Business Intelligence, you will manage optimizing the SPDR BI data model, including adding new data sources and/or supporting new reporting/analytics requirements. You will help define the medium-long term analytics roadmap, working closely with the India-based team members and IT business partners to ensure projects are delivered according to business requirements.
You will design and deliver systematic solutions to enhance business as usual deliverables including compensation and quarterly business review reporting. You will review technical designs to ensure they meet requirements and will scale to future asks. You will offer ideas on how insights and can drive positive business outcomes. You will work directly with Sales and Management to ensure data is answering the appropriate questions to drive positive behavior.
This role can be performed in a hybrid model, where you can balance work from home and office to match your needs and role requirements.
Why this role is important to us
State Street Global Advisors (SSGA) is a global leader in institutional asset management, entrusted with more than $3.5 trillion in assets. For more than three decades, investors worldwide have benefited from our disciplined, precise investment process and powerful global platform offering access to every major asset class, capitalization range and style across the indexing and active spectrums. SSGA is the investment management arm of State Street Corporation, one of the world’s leading providers of financial services to institutions. The SPDR business within SSGA has over $1Tn in assets across 150 ETFs and is one of the fastest growing areas within the firm.
The SPDR Global Business Intelligence (BI) team supports the SPDR ETF business in reporting & analytics, data infrastructure/quality and sales enablement. The vision of the BI team is to be an indispensable information resource for the SPDR ETF business to help achieve desired goals and objectives. Our mission is to use information to provide a reliable foundation for decision-making, opportunity realization and targeted business improvements. We work with state-of-the-art technologies and a tremendously diverse data set.
What you will be responsible for
As SPDR Data Architect you will
- Define and maintain the SPDR BI data model, working with Head of BI and business/IT stakeholders to ensure alignment
- Define analytics roadmap, working with Head of BI and Head of Sales Planning ensure alignment with Business Strategy
- Work with Sales Strategy & Planning team to translate business priorities into executable actions
- Aid in determining appropriate design solutions for requirements (i.e., data warehouse build vs. Alteryx vs. Python)
- Review solution designs to ensure they meet business requirements and are scalable
- Support the prioritization of strategic initiatives, business as usual reporting and ad-hoc requests (some with urgent priority)
- Work with teams to estimate work effort to set expectations on deliverable timelines and raise concerns when bandwidth constraints arise
- Manage timelines, identify/raise issues/risks
- Examine current processes to identify areas for improvement
- Identify use cases for data driven insights
Education & Preferred Qualifications
Minimum of 5+ years of management and/or consulting experience, preferably with some experience running global or remote team members of analysts, report writers, data scientists, etc.
- A BS/MS degree in Computer Science, Engineering, Statistics, Mathematics, Information Technology or equivalent/related degree
- Experience in asset management with an understanding of ETF/Mutual Fund trends, challenges and opportunities
- Experience with project management and strong organizational skill
- Ability to clearly communicate analytical results to a diverse audience
- Minimum 3 years of experience with Tableau Software; Certified Desktop Professional preferred
- Ability to establish direction and motivate team members, mentoring staff and inspiring improvement and innovation
- Ability to work with contractors and/or Information Technology professionals to develop data analytics systems and processes
- Demonstrated ability to lead implementation efforts with complex project management capabilities
- Experience with advanced analytics techniques such as Machine Learning, Neural Networks, Pattern Recognition and program languages such as Python and R is desired but not required
What we value
- Demonstrated ability to excel in a dynamic environment with tight deadlines, and ability to prioritize and allocate projects and workflow to ensure timely and accurate delivery to partners
- Experience working in an Agile development process
- Ability to take ownership and initiative, to influence and build consensus and successfully navigate within a data driven environment of a leading global financial institution
- Persuasive and articulate in presenting complex ideas, simply
- Experience of detailed, analytical work.
- Flexible, pragmatic and solutions oriented. Hands on when required.
- Able to work effectively in a dynamic environment with shifting priorities.
We employ a diverse group of people within our 26 worldwide locations and 10 investment centers. As an organization, we are committed to corporate social responsibility. Active engagement with our communities around the world, both as a partner and a leader, is a fundamental value at State Street. You’ll have tools to help balance your professional and personal life, paid volunteer days, and access to employee networks that help you stay connected to what matters to you. State Street is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer
Education & Preferred Qualifications
- Excellent leadership and interpersonal skills with the experience of managing people.
- Degree educated (or equivalent) with a financial or analytical discipline preferred.
- Detailed subject matter expertise and/or breadth of experience within middle office or investment operations function (+5 years).
- Collaborative and a strong team player, but able to work independently too.
- Comfortable working with colleagues at all levels within a Corporate organisation.
- Project management skills an advantage.
Are you the right candidate? Yes!
We truly believe in the power that comes from the diverse backgrounds and experiences our employees bring with them. Although each vacancy details what we are looking for, we don’t necessarily need you to fulfil all of them when applying. If you like change and innovation, seek to see the bigger picture, make data driven decisions and are a good team player, you could be a great fit.