The world is changing fast and Shell is changing, too – not only to keep up with the external pace, but also to anticipate and shape a different future. The new integrated Corporate Relations function will deliver value by supporting our strategy and sectoral approach and improving policy and advocacy outcomes. We will bring the outside in and secure and drive Shell’s reputation and values. Drawing on a strong base of professional excellence, we aspire to be best-in-class at achieving integrated outcomes through effective engagement and communication with external and internal stakeholders.
External regulatory requirements, stakeholder expectations and internal priorities are evolving quickly and shape the way Shell reports, with corporate sustainability reporting becoming a growing priority. Investors are increasingly incorporating Environmental, Social and Governance (ESG) data and analysis into their investment decision making. Shell’s sustainability and ESG performance and the way we communicate about it can have a significant impact on Shell’s global licence to operate and the way in which investors and stakeholders view the company.
Where you fit in:
This role sits in the CR Corporate Communications team which is tasked with helping to shape the way Shell shows up as the company transforms over the coming years. The Sustainability/ESG Reporting Adviser reports to the CR Manager Reporting.
The Corporate Reporting team drives the decisions on how to evolve Shell corporate reporting practices in line with external standards, trends, best practice and the needs of our investors and other key stakeholders, as well engages external bodies to influence the evolving corporate reporting landscape. The team has a key role in the delivery of the Powering Progress company strategy, both by delivering data against which ESG and other investors will assess our progress, and by helping tell the accompanying narrative.
The purpose of the role is to ensure thorough understanding of methodologies, as well as availability, verification and reporting of Shell’s data to external ESG data providers, sustainability/ESG benchmarks and indices. This includes assisting the CR Adviser ESG Data & Reporting with Shell’s reporting to investor facing ESG raters such as MSCI, Sustainalytics, ISS ESG, Refinitiv, Bloomberg ESG, Thomson Reuters, FTSE Russell, and coordinating Shell responses to other external organisation, benchmarks and indices such as CDP, TPI and Dow Jones Sustainability Index (DJSI). This position will also contribute to ensuring accurate Shell data is provided in EcoVadis, Corporate Human Rights Benchmark and other reporting frameworks as required.
What is the role:
The Sustainability/ESH Reporting Adviser is accountable for:
- Project manage the preparation of Shell’s submission for reporting frameworks such as CDP’s climate disclosure framework. This includes defining timeline, roles and responsibilities and operating the process for timely submission, ensure SME input and relevant approvals (includes IR, Legal, Disclosure Committee and final sign-off by CEO).
- Serve as single focal point for any CDP submission related questions in order to align messaging towards CDP.
- Monitor development at CDP with regards to changes to their requests for information (Climate, Water, Forests) and connections with other frameworks (GRI, EU sustainability standards, WEF, etc).
- Analyse and understand the methodologies used by priority sustainability reporting frameworks (e.g. WBA, CDP, CHRB, etc). Act as the Shell focal point in liaising with these frameworks.
- Conduct analysis in gaps between Shell PBC (Performance, Behaviours and Communication) and the requirements of priority reporting frameworks. Provide feedback to SMEs in order to drive improvements. Work closely with SX Sustainability team and others as required.
- Assist in reviewing and verifying information provided to Shell by ESG data providers and indices to ensure they have accurate and up to date information. Deliver this by working collaboratively with Shell data providing teams including HSE, Carbon and Environment, C&P, HR, Legal, Ethics & Compliance, Social Performance etc.
- Assist in identifying gaps in Shell sustainability/ESG disclosures that priority ESG data providers, benchmarks and indices are seeking and help coordinate internal input to drive improvements (e.g. additional disclosures in Shell’s corporate reports, shell.com and other channels).
- Support disclosures such as the Modern Slavery Act Statement and other sustainability reporting requirements (e.g. with internal due diligence, data gathering questionnaire).
- Support in maintaining a database of key Shell sustainability/ESG disclosures and a list of Shell data providing teams.
- Participate in external engagements and working groups on the topic of sustainability and ESG reporting as needed.
What we need from you:
Demonstrated experience managing and delivering data including working with large and diverse data sets (required);
Strong analytical focus, with a high level of attention to detail and the ability to understand the wider context and implications;
Desire to learn and develop in the area of sustainability/ESG reporting;
Capable of partnering with and delivering through others against strict deadlines;
Ability to engage SMEs and senior stakeholders, including challenge and debate;
Ability to work with, and integrate across, functions and businesses to keep up to date on relevant topics;
Demonstrated ability to work independently as well as proactive collaboration within the team, especially in a virtual setting;
Demonstrated ability to dive into unfamiliar subjects and quickly build expertise;
Exceptionally well organised;
Demonstrated experience of working on ESG/sustainability topics, including corporate reporting is desirable;
Knowledge of ESG data, systems, tools, processes and terminology is desirable;
Awareness/experience of sustainability reporting standards and initiatives such as GRI, SASB, WBA is desirable.
Intermediate to advanced skills in MS Excel;
Excellent spoken and written English;