1. Am I required to take the certification exam?
You are by no means required to take the exam, even if you are planning a permanent move to Poland. However, note that you will need to certify your Polish language skills if you decide to apply for a long-term EU residence permit or Polish citizenship. Foreign students who want to take a degree course (taught in Polish) at a Polish university are also required to prove their knowledge of the language. Obviously, the exam can be taken by anyone who wants to obtain an official certificate of proficiency in Polish.
2. When and where is the exam held?
The examinations are usually held three/four times a year in a number of venues across Poland. The dates and locations are listed at certyfikatpolski.pl. You need to visit the website to register for an exam a few months in advance.
3. Is it possible to take the exam outside of Poland?
Yes, it is possible. There are several higher education institutions and other entities outside of Poland (including Belarus, Ukraine, France, the UK or the US) which are authorized to conduct the examination. The venues are announced a few months before each examination session at certyfikatpolski.pl.
4. How much does it cost to take the exam?
Fees may vary slightly depending on the venue, but they cannot exceed:
- EUR 90 – for A1-B2 exams for young learners
- EUR 120 – for A1-A2 exams
- EUR 150 – for B1-B2 exams
- EUR 180 – for C1-C2 exams
5. What does the exam look like?
The exam is composed of two parts: a written exam and an oral exam. The written exam has four parts: Listening, Reading, Grammar and Writing. It takes from two to five hours, depending on the exam level.'
6. What score do I need to pass the exam?
In order to pass the exam, you need to obtain a minimum score of 50% (levels A1 to B2) or 60% (levels C1 to C2) in each part of the examination.
7. What happens if I fail it?
You can retake the exam as soon as you feel ready (no waiting period is required).
8. Are there any preparation materials available?
Visit certyfikatpolski.pl to find sample examination papers, practice exercises and a list of recommended study materials.
9. Is there an age restriction for the candidates?
You need to be at least 14 to register for an exam. Candidates under 18 are given a test designed specifically for younger learners. There is no upper age limit.
10. How long is the certificate valid for?
The certificate has no expiry date.
Good luck with your exam! Powodzenia!