Temporary residents working in Poland - see what you need

by Ewelina Nurczyk in: Legal & Taxes, 18 Jan 2016     0 Comments

One of the reasons for being granted a temporary residence card in Poland is taking up a new job. Whether you are delegated to Poland, hold the Blue Card or simply have been offered a post here, this article will clear your doubts about the process.

In the article on Polish temporary residence permits you have learnt that there are three work-related reasons for applying for this document. Read our guide to each of them explaining what documents are needed apart from the standard set mandatory for residence card applicants (see ‘File your forms’ in this article).

Temporary residence and work permit

Applying for a unified temporary residence and work permit is probably the most common case, as getting two permits at once saves a lot of time and effort. Applicants will need to file documents mentioned in the article linked above, as well as:

  • Health insurance confirmation;
  • Documents confirming sufficient housing and means of subsistence assured in Poland;
  • Labour market test results;
  • Work or civil law contract signed by both employer and employee;
  • Tax settlements and tax clearances.

If the documents are filed in a proper manner, a foreigner gets a permit issued for the maximum of three years, with the possibility of renewal. The permit is granted only for the job specified in the application form. If the information provided in the application changes, including the position or the employer, foreigners are obliged to inform the authorities about that.

The Blue Card

The Blue Card is a document introduced by the European Union in 2009 as a response to the famous American Green Card. Since then, highly-skilled non-EU nationals have been able to work in most countries of the union, even if they were not its citizens. To apply for the permit on the grounds of the Blue Card, foreigners need to:

  • File labour market test results;
  • Provide work or civil law contract signed by both employer and employee for the minimum of 1 year;
  • Qualify to perform the tasks of a regulated profession;
  • Possess the required higher professional qualifications;
  • Have valid health insurance;
  • Confirm sufficient housing in Poland;
  • Possess the relevant legal body’s consent to perform their tasks if the consent is necessary;
  • Have an annual salary of no less than the minimum remuneration defined by the Polish Ministry of the Interior.

Once the temporary permit is issued, it is valid for the maximum of 3 years. As with the case presented in the previous section, here foreigners are also obliged to inform authorities about some possible changes to the data provided in their application. Amendments which are not subject to this process include: changes of the foreigner’s address, name or form of the company, as well as when the employer is transferred to work for another entity.


When it comes to foreigners delegated to Poland, the procedure is similar. The mandatory documents include:

  • Valid work permit/employer’s declaration to employ a foreigner;
  • Health insurance confirmation;
  • Documents confirming sufficient housing and means of subsistence assured in Poland;
  • Documents confirming the period of delegation and the salary;
  • Tax settlements and tax clearances.

You can go back to the article on temporary residence permits to see more details about them. Have you got one because of work-related reasons? Let us know in the comment section below. 

Ewelina Nurczyk

Ewelina Nurczyk


Contact the author

Editor at CareersinPoland.com. A graduate of English studies and Polish language and literature at Warsaw University, specialising in teaching Polish to foreigners. 

Related articles

The biggest conference concerning emerging markets in Central and Eastern Europe – Emerging Markets Business Conference – is going to be held on June the 30th, in the Hall of Quotation at the Warsaw Stock Exchange. Read more

Does the business world need a change? Read more

How cold is too cold for work? Employers have a duty to maintain a comfortable temperature in the workplace. Find out if your office complies with health and safety regulations. Read more

The Blue Card is a work permit designed for non-EU citizens who hold special qualifications. Do you want to use it in Poland? Learn how to obtain it and what benefits it involves. Read more

What do particular nationalities expect from their Polish bosses? Read more