Software Engineering Manager (Risk Models)
Information Technology (IT)
Job Reference #
We are searching for a certain kind of person who is excited by the idea of owning; people who like to build new platforms, features and services. This position requires collaboration with, product managers, technical program managers, and partner teams to deliver innovative solutions. You should be comfortable with ambiguity with a desire to create, iterate and improve.
As an Engineering Manager at UBS, you’ll be expected to provide innovative technical thought leadership and cutting-edge application development approaches. In this position, you will manage an agile team of engineers to create feature rich, efficient, and scalable applications in the Risk Models domain. The right person will be passionate about technology, scalability and the web and have strong technical and managerial skills to help design, build, and review the team's implementations. Writing code and being hands on is essential for this position. You should be comfortable conducting design and code reviews within the engineering team and leading and vetting designs across partner technical teams and with business leaders. You should be able to get into the details of our solutions, guide implementation, and take end-to-end ownership of systems in coordination with your peers in the product management and operations.
This role will include, but not be limited to, the following:
• Own your solutions from product to production. Be educated and opinionated about product requirements and direction and authoritative on the architecture of your services.
• Be hands on and earn the technical respect of the team. Some part of your time will be spent writing code. Be a technical mentor for the team. Good problem-solving skills and mature decision making. You get in, understand the problems and are able to help craft the solutions. You know how to make the tradeoffs and how to explain them.
• Help drive our journey to the Azure Cloud.
• Establish collaborative and productive relationships with product management, governance, UX design, vendors and other supporting teams.
• Foster an environment of engineering excellence and innovation. Insist on designing to the edge.
• Be hands on. Earn the technical respect of the team. Jump in to code complex and high impact issues. Be a technical mentor for the team.
• Be the scrum master for your team. Own planning, standups, demos, retrospectives and the execution of your sprints.
• Keep technical debt in check. Standardize the process for collecting compromises and tradeoffs and ensure appropriate prioritization and resolution.
• Ensure teams are building using modern practices and tools. Recognize and act of your responsibility for driving change for the entire development community.
• Cultivate operational excellence within your teams. Understand SLAs and how your systems are performing in relation to them. Ensure your systems self-report breaches and understand root cause. Insist that your teams provide timely resolution of identified production defects.
• Mentor and grow your people. Create an environment of individual accountability. People grow to meet expectations. Yours should be high.
You will be part of the Risk Models team in Risk IT responsible for creating cutting edge and performant risk models.
• Bachelor's degree in either Science, Information Technology, Mathematics
• Strong technical background and experience managing complex technical deliveries (including hands-on involvement) and IT delivery support within an agile environment with continuous improvement & learning culture
• 3 – 5 years of people management experience, leading technical professionals (software developers, development managers, and/or technical program managers)
• 10+ years application development experience within a financial services organization
• Proven experience in project management of multiple initiatives with competing priority and disparate resourcing
• Hands on experience with agile software development methodologies
• Strong analytical, problem solving, debugging skills
• Good verbal and written communication and organizational skills
• Ideally, understanding of and hands-on experience designing and building solutions on major cloud systems providers such as Microsoft Azure, Amazon Web Services, or Google Cloud Platform.
• Experience in or knowledge of cloud-native development
• Able to operate successfully in a matrix environment
• Proactive and detail-oriented, yet comfortable working in a dynamic environment with fast paced deliveries and changing requirements
• Highly motivated, able to work independently and apply own initiative
We’re looking for someone like this who can help us:
• Provide quality management leadership to a combination of UBS staff and an outsourced team
• Oversight of the QA providers
• Define and own testing strategy/governance to cover multiple business and technology work streams
• Review, recommend and implement improvements to existing test processes
• Define an effective and dependable testing strategy which encompasses automated testing, manual testing and exploratory tests with the aim of realizing efficiencies over existing practices and supporting more frequent release cycles
• Ensure the service is provided timely and with high quality
• Manage relationship with stakeholders and business representatives with high management attention
Expert advice. Wealth management. Investment banking. Asset management. Retail banking in Switzerland. And all the support functions. That's what we do. And we do it for private and institutional clients as well as corporations around the world.
We are about 60,000 employees in all major financial centers, in more than 50 countries. Do you want to be one of us?
We're a truly global, collaborative and friendly group of people. Having a diverse, inclusive and respectful workplace is important to us. And we support your career development, internal mobility and work-life balance. If this sounds interesting, apply now.
Disclaimer / Policy Statements
UBS is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We respect and seek to empower each individual and support the diverse cultures, perspectives, skills and experiences within our workforce.