Data Architecture ensures that the business value of IT solutions and of enterprise data is maximized by applying knowledge of the business needs and opportunities, the business processes, the existing portfolio of IT applications, and the current and emerging technology and IT service capabilities, but most of all, the actual data used by all of these. The Solution Data Architect – New Energies ensures that projects and products deliver cost effective, sustainable data solutions that align with Shell’s strategic direction. The Solution Data Architect will be expected to develop data models and other artefacts plus influence design decisions throughout the software development lifecycle.
Key deliverables include the Solution Architecture High Level Design covering all necessary data models, matrices, diagrams, controls, and architectural guidance to detail the solution’s data design and enable its physical implementation.
This role ensures the business outcomes and business values are delivered by ensuring right data focused solutions applied, designed, delivered and implemented. This role leverages knowledge of existing portfolio of IDT landscape for business (NE) domain and the current and emerging technologies and IDT service capabilities.
• The individual in this position will work with Business Lead Architect, Segment Data Architects, Lead Solution architect, ITMs, product/project managers in architectural solution delivery, solution assurance and solution implementation assurance
• Works with Business Analysts, Data Analysts, and Business SME’s to determine the solutions data scope by understanding the business data requirements driving the solution.
• Works with the Solution Architect to design the end-to-end solution data flows (e.g. API’s) sourcing data from architecturally approved sources (masters) and highlighting any gaps.
• Works with Analysts, SME’s and Architects to assess data sources and their suitability for the solution. This includes profiling data to infer and communicate pertinent facts about users, systems and data quality from the data sets.
• Designs conceptual and logical data models to support the business requirements.
• Uses the logical data model as basis of delivering physical data models or message formats. Works with Software and Data Engineers to ensure they are implemented as designed. Where possible produces DDL for the build of data stores.
• Ensures that physical models meet all functional requirements and provides input on non-functional aspects such as sizing, performance and scalability.
• Creates or validates mapping of data across sources, based on data content.
• Works with the business to determine and document the applicable data quality standards that the data used in the solution needs to adhere to.
• Works closely with Data Owners to support data quality improvement exercises.
• Works with other Architects to understand and document interaction between data and applications to determine current and future systems or records and resulting integration requirements.
• Works with Process Architect and Business Analysts to understand the relevant business processes, and document relationship between process and data to ensure we know what roles create, update, consume and delete data throughout its lifecycle, both as-is and to-be.
• Ensures all applicable data policies (segregation of duties, business controls, data access controls, legislation, etc.) are understood and adhered to. Proactively designs to meet these requirements.
• Drives and manages the development (and maintenance) of all solution data architecture metadata using Enterprise Tooling and exposing metadata via Data Catalogues.
• Works across teams to identify existing data designs, patterns, tools or techniques that may facilitate or expedite delivery.
• Ensures solution data architecture artifacts are created in accordance to data architecture standards.
• Works with Segment Data Architect to align on the bigger picture driving the Segment.
• Collaborates with the Segment Data Architect to leverage and contribute to enterprise artefacts ensuring that the solution data architecture is implemented in alignment with the segment strategy.
• 4 to 7 years in digital and IT with some stakeholder management experience.
• Mastery of core Data Architecture skills including: Data Analysis, Data Profiling, Data Modelling (ERD, Dimensional), Data Warehouse Design (Kimball, Inmon), Big Data Design (Lambda, Kappa), Data Lifecycle management, Master Data Management & implementation patterns, Data Integration patterns and methods.
• Mastery of technologies involved in data management is required (database management systems, data services, data lakes, etc.).
• Mastery of Enterprise Architecture Frameworks (TOGAF) and application thereof.
• Mastery of Data Architecture and Enterprise Architecture tooling such as PowerDesigner and BiZZdesign.
• Good understanding of and affinity with Integrated Oil & Gas industry is preferred.
• Experience of working with Agile Delivery teams and a knowledge of DevOps constructs.
• Experienced, global, virtual team worker.
• Knowledge of all architecture aspects and keen to stay up to date with key developments in IT.
• Affinity with the other Enterprise Architecture domains (process, application, infrastructure, security and information risk).
• Leadership & negotiating skills: - ability to drive change using influence and networking.
• Ability to build a shared vision and able to communicate well.
• Delivery-oriented with focus on results. Must be a doer with a hands-on attitude.
• Organized and methodical. Ability to initiate, plan and develop according to plan