We are looking for an experienced Senior Tax Lead to join our Canada Income Tax Team sitting within Finance Operations (FO).
The Canada Income Tax group of the Shell Finance Organization is responsible for the filing of Canada income tax returns for Shell entities doing business in Canada, and for Canada companies operating overseas or foreign affiliates with Canada reporting requirements. Position is responsible for advising on and reviewing returns, complex issues and handling other associated duties. These duties include quarterly review of tax provision, tax basis balance sheet preparation and analysis, research of law changes, participating in team projects within the team as well as cross-functions, tax accounting matters, and responding to inquiries by the businesses. Also, the position is responsible for managing all the correspondence received from the Tax Authorities, as assessments, queries and etc, and making sure that they are responded on time. Finally, the position is responsible for being a line manager of a team of Tax Specialists.
- Coordinate, review, and sign off of separate legal entity and consolidated Canada income tax returns, tax provisions (including return-to-provision adjustments, deferred tax true-ups, and effective direct tax rates), and tax basis balance sheets and associated deferred tax assets/liabilities
- Perform all Canada Income Tax Compliance controls (including SOX) in conformity and in compliance with the Tax Manual.
- Serve as Subject Matter Expert and reviewer of many complex, highly technical areas in Canada Income Tax such as, but not limited to, the following:
a. Tax credits such as Foreign tax credit, R&D credit, etc.
b. Related-party transactions (effecting transfer pricing issues)
c. Tax Accounting/Reporting matters
d. Employee-related tax adjustments (stock options, pension, key-man life insurance, non-qualified benefits, etc.)
e. Canada consolidation and partnership tax regulations, including the determination of quarterly estimated tax payments. These complex Canada income tax subject matters are characterized by attributes such as: intricate calculations that are further complicated by Shell's corporate structure;highly technical, non-intuitive, and ambiguous Canada income tax laws; and tens of millions of dollars of net income or cash effect.
- Analyse, review, and coordinate proposed legislation / tax law changes and their implications to Shell.
- Provide tax technical training and coaching, where applicable, to Team members.
- Provide Canada Income Tax Filing & Reporting advice to Businesses and Functions, including the support of the following Tax Areas/Functions:
a. shaping tax law and rules, and external representation,
b. planning and tax financial structuring, and
c. managing tax inspections and disputes.
- Interface with external auditors on Canada income tax matters in order to attain sign-off of Shell's audited financial statements.
- nterface with Canada Business Controllers' staff and Business Tax Advisors on Canada Income Tax Compliance and Reporting matters.
- Develop and maintain relationships with the Businesses and Functions in Canada.
- Practice and comply with the Group Records Management policy.
- Assist in raising tax awareness across Canada businesses through training and workshops.
- Work on special projects, including Canada Tax Audits and Tax Planning projects
Required skills and experience:
- Broad experience in business taxation working for a multinational company or a professional firm
- Strong leadership skills as exhibited through prior project management and/or supervisory experience
- Recognized professional qualification and a member of a recognized accounting or legal professional body
- Deep knowledge and experience in income tax law and practice
- Strong understanding of controls in a tax environment, and tax accounting/reporting under GAAP and IFRS;
- Effective communicator of complex tax issues; both oral and written
- Effective client/project management and task prioritization skills;
- Effective at influencing others within and outside of Shell Tax;
- Ability to adapt to new or changing circumstances and ambiguous or pressured situations;
- Demonstrates imagination and creativity in the evaluation of issues and development of possible solutions;
- Ability to evaluate tax risks, balance risk with Business objectives, and make recommendations that are objective, practical, technically appropriate, and supportive of the Business;
- Effective team player on Tax and cross-functional/cross-sector teams
- Fluent English