Database Reliability Engineer
Information Technology (IT)
Job Reference #
• Would you like to be part of team to influence IT Stakeholders and business partners on cloud offerings and migrate to cloud platform?
• Are you a technology enthusiast ready for a challenging IT career focus on Site Reliability Engineering (SRE) in Database environment?
We’re looking for a Database Reliability Engineer to:
• Responsible for availability, latency, performance, efficiency, change management, monitoring, emergency response and capacity planning of Database Products managed by Hosting Services.
• Adopt software engineering practices to view operation as engineering problem and enhance resiliency of the application or product on various parameters listed above.
• Automate the TOIL for efficiency, enhance customer experience on delivery of the Database Services and reduce MTTR on any outages.
• Apply a broad range of engineering practices with a focus on reliability, from instrumentation, performance analysis, and log analytics to automated testing, deployment, and operations
• Minimize the risk and impact of failures by engineering operational improvements, such as predictive monitoring, auto scaling or self-healing
• Respond to production incidents to gain first-hand experience of operational hotspots and to identify the root causes of problems
• Taking part in on-call duties, operations, software development, and support, gaining substantial historical knowledge to ensure a seamless flow of information between teams.
• Collect and analyze operational data, define and monitor key metrics to identify and communicate areas for improvement
• Ensuring that Ops professionals and product managers are reviewing incidents and documenting the findings to enable informed decision-making.
• Based on post-incident reviews, will need to optimize overall process of delivery, monitoring and controls to boost service reliability.
• Ensure the quality, security, reliability, and compliance of our solutions by applying our digital principles and implementing both functional and non-functional requirements
• Learn new technologies and practices, reuse strategic platforms and standards, evaluate options, and make decisions with long-term sustainability in mind
• Work in an agile way as part of multi-disciplinary teams, participate in agile ceremonies, and collaborate with engineers and product managers.
• Share knowledge and expertise with colleagues, help with hiring, and contribute regularly to our engineering culture and internal communities
Drive automation to eliminate TOIL, increase self-serviceable option on Requests and Changes requested by Clients.
Enable our clients for Frequent releases that improve our digital products and technology services.
Implement Monitoring Maturity with SLI, driving clear SLO and SLA.
Baselines for Error Budget and efforts spent on addressing TOIL.
Lay down a plan to mitigate the issue in shortest possible time to avoid impact on Error Budget
Adopt test methodologies like Chaos Engineering to enhance resiliency and ability to withstand against unexpected failures.
Technical analysis, design, code, tests, documentation, and other engineering artifacts.
Drive continuous improvement through Problem Management
You’ll be part of the Database team with strong focus on Microsoft Azure environment. You will get experience from very large database environment and you can play key role to migrate the database to the cloud. Database Team provides database solution, administration and database road map for more than 25000 databases (Oracle, Azure, PostgreSQL, SQL Server and Sybase) for UBS globally. We maintain very large databases (350TB largest) and implemented many proven database technologies like Data Guard, Always On, Real Application Cluster, Goldengate, Patroni, Oracle Enterprise Manager, OID, etc. to support high availability and BCM resiliency.
• 5+ years technical experience in RDBMS / NoSQL Database Products on Hybrid infrastructure including Public Cloud. Experience on Azure Cloud Databases is an added advantage. Good understanding of cloud computing
o Administration and provisioning
o Performance Tuning and Capacity Management
o Backup, DR, Replication and HA
• Experience with common SRE tools such as Configuration, Alerting, Observability.
• Experience with the software development life cycle, CI/CD, GIT, and code build pipelines. Hands-on experience on Gitlab is an added advantage.
• Hands-on experience on writing automation script using Python / Golang, PowerShell / Bash, etc. for on-premise as well as Public Cloud workloads.
• Familiar with infrastructure as code tooling (CloudFormation, Terraform, ARM)
• Familiar with Azure Automation, Function or equivalent tools in other Cloud Platforms.
• Strong communication and collaboration skills
• Self-driven, passionate professional with minimal need of supervision
• Nice to have BS degree (in Computer Science or related area) or an equivalent
UBS is the world’s largest and only truly global wealth manager. We operate through four business divisions: Global Wealth Management, Personal & Corporate Banking, Asset Management and the Investment Bank. Our global reach and the breadth of our expertise set us apart from our competitors.
With more than 70,000 employees, we have a presence in all major financial centers in more than 50 countries. Do you want to be one of us?
At UBS, we embrace flexible ways of working when the role permits. We offer different working arrangements like part-time, job-sharing and hybrid (office and home) working. Our purpose-led culture and global infrastructure help us connect, collaborate, and work together in agile ways to meet all our business needs.
From gaining new experiences in different roles to acquiring fresh knowledge and skills, we know that great work is never done alone. We know that it's our people, with their unique backgrounds, skills, experience levels and interests, who drive our ongoing success. Together we’re more than ourselves. Ready to be part of #teamUBS and make an impact?
Disclaimer / Policy Statements
UBS is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We respect and seek to empower each individual and support the diverse cultures, perspectives, skills and experiences within our workforce.