Senior Java Engineer
Information Technology (IT)
Job Reference #
You will be working in an interdisciplinary team that develops software the Investment Bank relies on to settle and confirm it’s OTC Derivative trading portfolio.
Is clean code something you strive for every day? Do you have fun spotting things that can be improved (and then tackling them)? Do you take pride on being a Software Craftsperson?
We're looking for someone who can:
– be part of a Scrum team working on delivering business value through Software
– analyze business requirements and design solutions
– collaborate to refine user requirements through Specification by Example (SBE) and Behavior Driven Development (BDD)
– implement changes in the system by following good programming principles
– collaborate with other global IT teams (and sometimes travel there)
– assist production operations team in rollout and support-related matters
You’ll be working in a Krakow based team of 5-6 people that develops a suite of applications that settle and confirm UBS’s OTC Derivative trading portfolio. The systems are central to us supporting the trade lifecycle in our Investment Bank. Members of this team work closely with their Operations team partners to provide global solutions for varied challenging business requirements.
Our team cares deeply about continuous improvement of the development process through automation. We use Continuous Integration for quick feedback cycles and are currently working on achieving Continuous Delivery. Collaboration is highly valued and pair programming is common practice.
We use Scrum and apply Agile practices. You'll have Software Craftsmanship at the heart of what you do, striving for quality and efficiency through automation.
We value continuous learning and encourage attendance at Conferences (GeeCon, Devoxx, etc) and internal Hackathons and Developer Meetups. There is also considerable formal and informal opportunity to learn financially how a bank works.
– strong Java programming experience
– clean coding and refactoring skills
– great problem solving ability
– experience with Agile methodologies, especially Scrum
– hands-on experience with Agile practices, like Continuous Integration and Test Driven Development (you do TDD as if you meant it!)
– the willingness to strive for continuous improvement
– a profound appreciation for testing and experience in writing all levels of tests
– the craving for learning and the disposition to share knowledge and collaborate
– great communication and interpersonal skills
Nice to have:
– experience of event driven architectures
– experience of Oracle database development
– interest in distributed systems and writing resilient software
– imaginative and creative, ready to try new things
– able to work on and improve older code bases, as well as to apply modern best practices to new projects
– willing to work with and contribute to teams with different skillsets
– proactive, comfortable working in dynamic environments with fast-paced deliveries and changing requirements
– fluent in English
Our current technology stack:
• Java 8
• Web GUI
• A Puppet based internal deployment tool
We are moving towards:
• Stream processing
UBS is the world’s largest and only truly global wealth manager. We operate through four business divisions: Global Wealth Management, Personal & Corporate Banking, Asset Management and the Investment Bank. Our global reach and the breadth of our expertise set us apart from our competitors.
With more than 70,000 employees, we have a presence in all major financial centers in more than 50 countries. Do you want to be one of us?
How we hire
This role requires an assessment on application. Learn more about how we hire: www.ubs.com/global/en/careers/experienced-professionals.html
At UBS, we embrace flexible ways of working when the role permits. We offer different working arrangements like part-time, job-sharing and hybrid (office and home) working. Our purpose-led culture and global infrastructure help us connect, collaborate, and work together in agile ways to meet all our business needs.
From gaining new experiences in different roles to acquiring fresh knowledge and skills, we know that great work is never done alone. We know that it's our people, with their unique backgrounds, skills, experience levels and interests, who drive our ongoing success. Together we’re more than ourselves. Ready to be part of #teamUBS and make an impact?
UBS Recruiting Poland
Disclaimer / Policy Statements
UBS is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We respect and seek to empower each individual and support the diverse cultures, perspectives, skills and experiences within our workforce.