The Tax Intmd. Analyst is a developing professional role. Deals with most problems independently and has some latitude to solve complex problems. Integrates in-depth specialty area knowledge with a solid understanding of industry standards and practices. Good understanding of how the team and area integrate with others in accomplishing the objectives of the subfunction/ job family. Applies analytical thinking and knowledge of data analysis tools and methodologies. Requires attention to detail when making judgments and recommendations based on the analysis of factual information. Typically deals with variable issues with potentially broader business impact. Applies professional judgment when interpreting data and results. Breaks down information in a systematic and communicable manner. Developed communication and diplomacy skills are required in order to exchange potentially complex/sensitive information. Moderate but direct impact through close contact with the businesses' core activities. Quality and timeliness of service provided will affect the effectiveness of own team and other closely related teams.
- Responsible for the overall management of the tax liabilities, of Citi, both directly and in connection with transactions with clients, including the related compliance, financial reporting, planning and controversy processes.
- Contributes to the planning, accounting, filing and the reporting of tax liability of the company.
- Assists in determining and compiling information required to satisfy income tax filing and related requirements at all levels of jurisdiction.
- May participate in managing payments to tax authorities in compliance with specific tax regulations.
- Identifies and resolves problems using autonomous judgment.
- Implements work flow or process change and redesign, and uses a thorough knowledge of the specific function.
- Accountable for regular reporting or process administration as "owner".
- Primary focus is on execution within defined parameters.
- Assists in the management of one or more processes, reports, procedures or products.
- Directs day-to-day work of junior level employees.
- Appropriately assess risk when business decisions are made, demonstrating particular consideration for the firm's reputation and safeguarding Citigroup, its clients and assets, by driving compliance with applicable laws, rules and regulations, adhering to Policy, applying sound ethical judgment regarding personal behavior, conduct and business practices, and escalating, managing and reporting control issues with transparency.
- 2-5 years relevant experience
- Bachelors degree
- Working in a team dealing with UK tax related matters.
- Preparation of UK corporate income tax computations.
- Calculation of the monthly UK income tax accruals, as well as the management and reconciliation of the tax balances on the ledger & effective tax rate analysis.
- Preparation of tax numbers to be disclosed in the statutory accounts.
- WHT reconciliation and assisting with preparation of WHT reclaim forms for EMEA local Tax Authorities
- Transfer pricing reporting
- Liaising with the foreign branch accountants to regularly monitor the local tax accruals and tax attributes (including tax paid, utilisation of losses, prior year adjustments)
- Liaising with the UK Financial Control team & New York tax department as required
- Preparing Corporate Tax returns (including required amendments, schedules, etc.)
- Reporting the tax numbers to the US and Finance when required i.e. breakdown of Deferred tax asset
- Opportunity for future progression within the team or within the broader UK tax or Finance department
- Opportunity to work in a complex environment
- Contact with a number of people within the organisation, both domestically and internationally
- Good overall understanding of the UK tax compliance process
- Good overall understanding of the Finance functions for a licensed bank.
- Opportunity to learn about the UK Tax system
- Opportunity to travel to the UK to increase understanding of the UK tax system
- Opportunity to become an expert in accounting and taxes, in particular getting familiar with Corporate Income Tax issues across EMEA countries
- Development of analytical skills
- Work with professionals in a multicultural environment
- Possibility of professional growth thanks to internal trainings programme and cooperation with Corporate Tax Department (London)
- Graduate in Economics/Finance or related field
- Demonstrate experience of applying both general accounting and tax accounting concepts to day to day work.
- Excellent working knowledge of Excel.
- Knowledge of financial sector accounting and systems would be an advantage.
- Able to demonstrate experience of suggesting pragmatic solutions to problems and conclude where appropriate.
- Demonstrate experience of working to multiple deadlines.
- Be able to work unsupervised on day to day responsibilities.
- Demonstrate experience of working as part of a team to achieve team goals
- Demonstrate ability to manage a number of different issues and be able to manage own time appropriately.
- Demonstrate an ability to quickly understand new technical issues.
- Previous tax experience would be an advantage
- Knowledge of other software (e.g. PowerPoint, SharePoint) would be an adavantage
- Experience in implementation of IT solution / financial systems would be an advantage.
- Able to work independently with minimal supervision
- Self-motivated, demonstrating initiative and a pro-active approach
- Strong interpersonal skills and a team player
- Analytical skills, inquisitive and willing to ask probing questions in order to derive financial data and understand transactions in order to perform the role
- High energy level with ability to work well under pressure on multiple priorities and to critical deadlines
- Graduate degree in finance, accounting, economics or related field.
- Previous Tax experience.
- Very good knowledge of MS Office, especially Excel.
- Fluent English
- Good verbal and written communication in English
- Ability to prioritise appropriately
- Excellent attention to detail
- Resilient and able to deal with changing deadlines
- Good interpersonal skills
- WILL REQUIRE TRAVEL TO UK